Saturday, August 25, 2012

Africa is real

Everybody has been asking me 'how do you feel?'...well yesterday it finally started to feel like Africa is finally here, I am finally going on this trip! As I wrote to my co-workers words of thanks and gratitude for their support and sort of said good-bye, with tears in my eyes I could acknowledge that what I have been built for, serving the underserved, was going to come to fruition in a huge, life-transforming way! Tonight I'll say good-bye to some of my closest college friends, and again it will hit me...this is happening for real. I'll only be gone for a few months, I can't even imagine what a whole year would feel like, what a whole lifetime would feel like.
If you know me at all you know I am not timid, far from it; I'm a bulldozer, not in the sense that I'll run you over, but I will get at the base of the problem and get to work. My previous prayer requests have been for spiritual preparedness, and they have been answered in astounding ways, I need continued prayers for patience, gentleness, self-control and not letting myself get so wrapped up in the problems and how to fix it, but in embracing the Ugandan way of life and hoping that I can find some peace and acceptance in my own bullldozer world.
I've got one week of realizing it is real before I step on the flight...I am going to Africa.

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you on this wonderful journey! It takes special people to be able to do what you are about to embark on and I give you loads of credit and respect! May God bless the way there and the way home <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,

    Daddy and Mommy are very proud of you.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,
    I will miss talking to you every week and have no doubt that it will be an extraordinary experience for you. So proud of my favorite sister!!
    Love,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete