Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Dubai & Home sweet home

I arrived home yesterday afternoon after a 14 hour flight and headed straight to Times Square for dinner with my family and Oscar.

In mid-flight I wrote this:

I'm actually starting to freak out about heading home, not a good thing to do when you're by yourself on a 14 hour flight. Since leaving Uganda I can't seem to stop myself from looking at pictures of the kids, which precipitates tears, because I should have been there when they woke up this morning, I should be planning activities for them this afternoon and playing with them right now. Living there really became 'normal' life for me. It wasn't a vacation, nor a quick volunteer experience, it was every day of my life for 3 months.

Two things are not helping my emotional state (besides the fact that I've slept maybe 9 hours in the past two nights combined):

1. Reading Wrecked is actually making me realize that I've gone on this trip, I've left my comfort zone and I don't know if going back to my old job, my old house, my old everything is going to work for me. And if it doesn't work for me, then I don't have any clue what my alternative is. Or was this just a 3 month repasse from my life because I knew there was more than 9 to 5 and wanted to seek some adventure, some sense of purpose, but I sought it, found it and will go back to my 9 to 5 to continue on. Or, if I want my life to mean something, if I want to do all I can to help others, then how can I even go back to life as it was.

2. I clicked on the favorites on the headset in front of me and the only song selected as a favorite by a previous passenger is Amazing Grace. Not only is it a beautiful song full of meaningful lyrics, but it's the song I sing to the kids every night at bedtime.

I was distracted in Dubai by my dear friend and her new baby, but that distraction is gone and my reality has set in. I am going home; but what am I going to make of it, how am I going to use this trip to change my regular 9 to 5 experience...time will only tell.






Thanks for joining me in the last 3 months of my life. It's been quite an adventure.
If you are interested in having me discuss my mission experience at your church, please email me at Laurabev@aol.com and I'd be happy to set something up in the coming weeks.

Many blessings to you and yours this Christmas season.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment