Sunday, September 30, 2012

Passionate Ugandans

Last night I went to Passion Conference in Kampala, Uganda. For only $4 I saw Chris Tomlin and Christy Nockels, two great praise leaders, and Louie Giglio, the minister for the Passion church in Atlanta, GA and originator of these reknowned world performances. I didn't even get the student rate, which was less than $1; it was so inexpensive, all so that the young people of Kampala could praise God. And boy did they show up, thousands of people gathered on the Makerere University's sports field to sing How Great is our God and other famous songs and hear a great sermon about knowing Jesus (not knowing about Jesus, but knowing him). It was great to praise Him with thousands of other young Ugandans. Despite their poverty, their physical conditions, the corruption and disappointments, they came to worship and offer up great honor and glory and thanksgiving.

As I stood on the field and looked around I thought how amazing it is to see people, who seemingly have nothing to be grateful for, be the most thankful, the most worshipping, and the happiest for this opportunity to praise God. I'm reading two books right now, one is by Jeff Goins called Wrecked, every college student should read it. As I sometimes contemplate if architecture is the path I want to stay on, it is so affirming to read this book about becoming wrecked through adventures, seasons of our lives and in making commitments. The second book I've only read the first chapter of, its called Not a Fan and I am reading it in tandem with my house church back in Philly. It is taking a closer look at whether you are a follower of Jesus or just a fan...I'd like to quickly affirm that I am a follower, but I think in some ways I'm just acting like a fan.


I've got some challenges ahead and I'm so thankful for last night's experience and what it offered me and the people of Kampala.                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment