Friday, September 14, 2012

Teaching and a wonderful day!

A day at school for those 4-5 goes like this: arrive before 8, stand in your class line, sing a few songs while the headmaster inspects your nails and clothing with a beating stick in hand for those misbehaving, but then puts you up in front of everyone to be ridiculed if you don't look proper. Afterwards the children file into their rooms and I go through a few songs I know with motions for them, and then they sit down for work. It takes them 1.5 hours to write:

Today is Monday, 10th September 2012

My name is Laura.

I am in Middle Class.

Write Numbers 0-20:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Match the shapes:

triangle, circle, square and kite (which is a diamond)

Then they have a snack of porridge and a roll. After 30 minutes of playing outside they come in to have Teacher Fiona tell them a story and then ask them to write:

Today is Monday, 10th September 2012

My name is Laura.

I am in Middle Class.

Draw a picture of a man helping a blind man.

And again, it takes them an hour to do this task...its astounding!!! 9.12.12

I had such a fun and rewarding day, I think I've come to realize that I treasure the days where we serve more than when we stay home to clean the orphanage and tteach and play with the children. I think it is because I feel more needed at the places we go, lucky for me starting next week we're going to do 2 outreaches/week.


Today we went to Elizabeth House, a place for children with special needs. Mary, a former orphan at Rafiki, lives there with severe mental retardation. This place was on a much higher par in terms of conditions than the place we were at last week, and they were very organized and had plenty of work for us to do. We painted an entire exterior of a house (less 1/3 of a wall because we ran out of paint), cleaned the large classroom/gathering area and then sang with the children, read a Bible story and did some shading (coloring) with them. They were so precious to see dancing and laughing and having a good time, oh and they got us doing some traditional African dancing too, it was hilarious!

I also made a t-shirt design for Rafiki Adventures, the Director Joseph runs a safari company and is trying to get it up and running, and so I'm hoping to get it on the computer and have some t-shirts made in the States. Joseph was really encouraging of my work and interest in helping.

And then the climax of the day was girls' night out to celebrate Joanna, another missionary's birthday! We went to a westernized cafe that had burgers, wraps, paninis, fries, etc. Needless to say it was a treat to not eat rice and beans this evening!! There were 9 of us that went out to celebrate, which included some other mazungus (white people) that I've never met before, we laughed for about 3 hours. It felt like being at home, well, until the power kept going out sporadically, we even got a slice of chocolate cake...yum!                                                                                     9.14.2012

Devotions: I've been leading devotions about every three nights and I'm having a really good time doing it. I've created my own approach and its been, I think, really powerful, well at least for me. Its kind of like having our own house church ever night...Storehouse folks, can you imagine house church every night?!

I decided I wanted to talk about the fruits of the spirit the other night, and then read the verses leading up to the fruits and realized how much more powerful a tool they are when needed to combat our sinful nature (what is offered in the verses previous to the fruits). I've read both the sinful nature part and the fruits part, but never in tandem, and so it led me in a totally different direction. I wrote down the fruits, in no particular order, on a peice of paper for everyone present. And I decided to do them out of order so that when you looked at them, you didn't get the rhythm or hierarchy present in the verse, I thought it might be helpful reviewing them that way. At the bottom of the slip of paper I wrote vs. sin, so that we can all remember in responding to the way that we desire to go we should be considering the way God wants us to be.

We're always going to be sinful, but hopefully I can work on battling that sin with some of the fruits. 9.14.2012

No comments:

Post a Comment