Friday, September 21, 2012

the scenery

The power has been out a lot recently, so I'm just catching up on my blogging!!

I just played bananagrams, its a word game, I haven't played a game in weeks, it felt sooo good! Haha!

My safari is coming up in just a few short days, thanks to Mom and Dad! Two of the missionaries serving with me just went on one and were 15 feet from a lion...I can't wait!

I'm going to attempt to describe Kampala...

Outside the center of Kampala are several hills, I assume the wealthier live on these hills because mixed within the diverse lush, green, foliage are the metal red roofs of homes. I've differentiated between wealthy and poor based on housing types, imagine that, me the architect. The poorer folks live in poorly constructed brick or wood stick-framed (real sticks, not 2x4's) homes with dull, rusting corrugated roofs, and they are found in the lower lying areas of Kampala. Often times the little market stands on the side of the road can't be differentiated from the poorer homes. The wealthy often live in concrete-walled homes that have stucco, stone or brick fenestration, but mostly stucco. Nobody builds with wood 2x4's or 2x6's.

The foliage ranges from palm trees to common deciduous trees and then on a "walk to see God's creation" I smelled it before I saw it...a pine tree! There is sugar cane all over, and other fruit-bearing trees that I can't identify. The dirt roads are a burnt red color, on dry days the dirt blows everywhere, on wet days it is a muddy mess. Today for example I attempted to walk in the market where we get our produce, I don't know how my legs maintained me, I was slipping and sliding everywhere and needed a shower promptly upon return. The streets are always covered in people goin from here to there, or milling about. Sadly, the unemployment rate in Uganda is over 70%, and us Americans were distraught at 10% unemployment! Many peddle for money helping you in the market, as boda-bodas or selling cell phone time and newspapers, or having their own little market on the side of the road, some even wheelbarrow their goods around.

Today was also my first day in the actual center city part of Kampala, there are a few 10 story buildings, some with modern reflected glass even, but most buildings are 4 stories. The streets are congested with cars, boda-bodas (motorcycle taxis), van taxis, buses, and trucks, and I have yet to see a traffic light. Literally every time you leave the gated courtyard you put your life in God's hands, riding is intense, driving would give me a heart attack. Most places, strip malls, grocery shopping, banks and general businesses have security men with shotguns; it is becoming less shocking to see the police, traffic police and security guards bearing arms. Church even requires you to pass through a metal detector because of the large gathering of people.

It is not uncommon to see a child's bare bottom as you drive along our road, so many are without, pampers and sanitary napkins are a luxury for far too many. Most of the kids are covered in the red dirt of the earth, but any child that is in school is in their uniform, dresses for the boys, shorts and a collared shirt for the boys, both wear knee-high socks. On sport days they have athletic uniforms. The market women often wrap fabric around their skirts or pants to keep from getting their clothes dirty, but teachers are dressed to a T. Men can be wearing anything from a t-shirt and jeans to dress slacks and dress shirts.                   


3 comments:

  1. Wow- those pictures are so sad. Take more of the busy streets!!
    Do you know how many people from driving related accidents?
    I can't believe 70% are unemployed... really puts things into perspective.
    I can't wait for you to go on your safari.
    Love you,
    Michelle (your only loyal comment person)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank you for your updates your experiences are amazing. The kids lives will be changed because of your love for them and for God. Kim R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that shot with the tree in the foreground:)
    Michelle, it's funny how in the countries where the roads seem to be utter mayhem to us American's, there are very few fender benders!
    Trish

    ReplyDelete