Monday, October 15, 2012

A Gift and a Sacrifice

When the other missionaries and I get a shower that is both hot and with a decent amount of pressure, we tell each other, "Jesus gave me a gift". Tonight, Jesus gave me a gift and it was so lovely! It seems like not much, but when you've had four cold showers in a row it is so amazing.

Today we served at a different babies home than previously, its called Nsambya (pronounced Zambia). We folded so many little kids clothes, played with the one year olds and bathed them, then fed them and put them down for a nap, washed their lunch dishes and headed home.

Today was the third time I've fasted from 9-5, I started doing it two weeks ago whenever we go to serve at another outreach project outside our ministry. I'm hoping that my hunger reminds me of how hungry the babies are for love and how hungry the street kids are for food and shelter. I certainly am starving by 5, I typically get a headache and am exhausted from the lack of food energy. I plan to stick with this program until I leave and then want to continue it whenever I serve back home.

Two nights ago one of the managers explained the roles of the staff and the roles of the missionaries so clearly, it made me feel even more convicted about why I am here: to serve others and love on these chuildren. The staff gets paid to bathe the children, feed them, teach them, and generally provide for their needs, but they really rely on the missionaries to give these children the love that they crave. This doesn't mean that the staff don't love the children its just that it is their job and they get the money to be here, its not a greater sacrifice for them like it is for us. A few family members came this past weekend to see the children (grandmothers, uncles and one boy's mom) and they are so thankful that we care for their children and love them to pieces. I really do, I think I kiss and hug each child at least 3 times every day, and the little ones get a lot more love since they are home all day! That is at least 72 hugs and kisses a week, that means by the time I leave I will have given and received 864 hugs and kisses!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment