Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Architecture

I can't believe it, but I'm actually missing architecture! It really is a complicated and varied profession that challenges me most days. Architecture requires you to be design oriented, good at mathematics, good at communication, good at coordination, good at managing; it requires you to think critically about many facets: zoning, civil engineering, structural requirements and demands from electricity, plumbing and mechanical ductwork. What other profession would have me involved in so many disciplines? Plus designing housing for those with MS has been extremely rewarding.

I was talking with a woman the other day and she told me how humbling it was that I left such a well-paid profession to gain no money and serve here, it was nice of her to say, but what she said was a common misconception, or maybe its just me, but I certainly don't get paid the big bucks. But then again, thats not why I do it; I wish I could earn a bit more, I even would say I deserve it, but I'm certainly able to provide for myself and am doing better than many. Over half the population of Uganda live on less than $1 per day and the average household income is less than $500/year!

I thought part of me was called here because I'm not sure what direction to take with my life, would my skills and talents be better served in another profession, maybe I just needed a break, or maybe He will reveal more to me and the direction my life needs to go in in due time. I've really been stepping up to the challenges of the book Not a Fan and surrendering areas of my life for Him to lead that I wouldn't have before, so with patience and an open ear, I will be directed, and I'm accepting that His direction might not come before I get home.



 

1 comment:

  1. Okay so the middle picture looks pretty nice. Those pictures don't look like they're in Africa at all.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete