Friday, October 5, 2012

Prayers and Punishment

Today is Teacher Appreciation Day, meaning the teachers have the day off, which means the kids have the day off. Auntie Esther wonders why Teacher Appreciation Day couldn't be held on Saturday...haha!!

I used the opportunity of having all the kids at home to snap some new photos, so enjoy! And as promised I added some photos of food/cooking that I explained the other day!



This week I am teaching the children the 10 Commandments and other Moses stories, we've got about 7 of them definitely memorized, I'm shocked and amazed at what they can remember! Today as we were working on the Commandments I told the kids that if they were well behaved then we would watch a Veggie Tales movie about Moses, too bad the power went out, maybe this afternoon power will return!

The other day when the power went out the children closed their eyes and folded their hands and asked God for the return of power to finish watching their movie, within 30 seconds it was back on. Today, however their prayers went unanswered, at least I was able to teach them about patience and that God doesn't always answer our prayers when we want Him to, or even the way we want Him to.

Several of you have sent me emails or FB messages asking what prayers are needed:

Mama Sara, the Director for Rafiki, and her baby Abby, and another missionary, Kailey left for the States today, please pray for traveling mercies for them as they return to America, and that Mama Sara's speaking engaagements and fundraising opportunities are fruitful.

The ministry is looking at purchasing land within the next several years and have visions of a much larger orphanage that includes a school, a church, a vocational school and housing and dining and living for 100 children. That's a big vision, I ask that you pray for direction and discernment for Sara and Joseph as they look at land and begin fundraising for its purchase.

I'll ask for continued prayers for me, the other missionaries and the staff as we raise these children up to be follower's of Christ, to help them grow in wisdom and intelligence, and to help keep them healthy and growing. Sometimes its so hard being patient after you've told them 5 times already to sit down and keep quiet so you can continue reading the story. This morning Emma was crying because Carol pinched him, so I pinched her, not hard, but enough so that I could tell her, you don't like it and neither would he, and that two weeks ago our Bible verse was about 'Do unto others...'. She sulked for 10 minutes, and as she cried and I told her she was fine, I thought about the Bible's teaching, do not repay evil for evil, or an eye for an eye; did I discipline her incorrectly?! I also revealed to my parents, who never spanked me, that I spank the children. If they don't know who is in charge than they, well, act like kids and go crazy. It breaks my heart every time I have to do it, but they've already been sent to their beds for a time out and still act out, am I wrong? And then I think of 'spare the rod, spoil the child'. I'm doing things the Ugandan way and that means a spanking when its well deserved, of course I hug and kiss them many times everyday and tell them how much I love them and how much Jesus loves them, and that is the loving way!



 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Laura,
    Love the pics of the kids... post more of them. They are all so cute and I cry when I see them (might be the hormones).
    I can't believe you spank the kids... but I guess that's the Ugandan way.
    Also, my Church is collecting clothing for Uganda- found that interesting.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete