Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A mid-week Sabbath

Today was my day off. I work hard all week, well, at least according to Ugandan standards; every week someone tells me, slow down, take a break, you work so hard. If you know me, than you know it probably is true, I'm always on the go, always burning the candle at both ends. But my boss Bob will tell you that I work hard, but when I go on vacation, I shut work out of my life and know how to thoroughly enjoy myself. And every Wednesday I shut down and thoroughly enjoy myself. Today, I went to even greater lengths.

I woke up around 9, most mornings I am helping bathe the kids by 6:45. For some reason Oscar couldn't sleep and we both happened to be on Skype, so I got to talk to him for a few minutes and introduce him to 3 of the kids before the signal got bad. Then after some light housekeeping in my room, which really I don't consider work because I love and crave cleanliness for my own clarity and function, headed off to the market. Yes I would participate in getting food items for the house, but I also looked for a colorful belt to add to my wardrobe (without success) and bought cucumbers and zucchini.

The biggest treat was on the way home from grocery shopping. I got dropped off at a salon and for a 45 minute long full-body, with oil, massage. My back has been hurting for quite some time, leaving me most days with a limp, but as of late it has been improving, I just wanted to give it a little boost. So this 45 minute massage that would have cost me at least $75 at home, cost me a whomping $8!!!! Well, $10 when you include the tip, my mom would be so proud of the bargain! I left feeling really great, the masseuse had put a medicated oil on my problem area and dug her elbow right in.

When I got home, I made myself a late lunch of tuna with some chopped veggies...mmmm!!! And prepared a salad for supper. I have not had a salad in over a month. It wasn't the best, because the spinach isn't as tasty as home and I used some other unidentifiable green, but it was delicious. Really, I'm craving salads, when you don't eat many veggies, a salad sounds amazing! Today was my Sabbath and it felt so good!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a nice day off and took care of yourself. And... you don't relax much, even when you are on vacation. Love you,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete