Sunday, October 21, 2012

Jealousy

I just led devotions on 1 Samuel chapters 18 & 19, the chapters are about Saul's jealousy and attempts to murder David. We discussed not only things that make us jealous and ways to overcome that feeling, but were thankful that we aren't very jealous people (those of us that were part of the discussion). Saul was not only jealous that David was getting so much praise for his military gains, but also, as king, Saul expected all the praise for himself; this was perhaps an attempt by God to humble Saul, one that obviously didn't work. In addition, we were happy to see two people defend David, not only to stand up to their father/king, but to say what was right. In an era so filled with thoughts of bullying, here's a good Biblical reminder of two people standing up for the smaller guy and for what was right, instead of for the mighty king.

By the way, I just realized that my Bible is turning 20 years old in December. Its a Study Bible I got at age 10! I have tried numerous Bibles since thinking perhaps it was time to retire the old one, but I just can't shake it, I love my Bible with its worn cover and notes in the margin from the 20th century!

1 comment:

  1. Is it the same one I have? Black with "Student" in red? That's still the one I use too, except mine doesn't get as much use as yours!! Oops!!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete