Friday, October 26, 2012

A little sleep, a little slumber...

Pastor Josh at Watoto Church on Sunday warned Ugandans about being known for their poor work ethic and I briefly touched on this in my blog the other day. I was so astounded by the comparison between a Chinese worker's output and a Ugandan's, and then even by the comparison of a Kenyan to a Ugandan, that I had to dig deeper. The minister mentioned Proverbs 24: 30-32, but as I was referring back to these verses I realized he didn't include the well-known verses just after that: A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest- and poverty will come on you like a bandit, and scarcity like an armed man. And boy does that speak to you/me!

Yes, we all need to take more personal responsibility and accountability for ourselves, but we also have a responsibility to our communities, our families, and others we surround ourselves with or associate with.

Yes, you might have a great work ethic, but what else might you let slack: your weight, your relationship with God, an important relationship with someone else?!

And then this digging deeper led me to 2 Thessalonians where Paul warns of idleness. How easy it is to sit there idly, being a busybody instead of really making progress, how we can be brought down by others who sit there idly while the world passes by.

Yes, I wanted to ignite some passion to work harder in some of my fellow devotional partners, but then I realized how much more I could be doing in other ways to keep myself from running on neutral, idling in the parking lot instead of moving forward. Its not just about your, or my, devotion to be at work from 8-6 Monday thru Friday, but to be a good mom, a devoted husband, an involved constituent, a good friend, and to keep growing in every aspect of your life.   

No comments:

Post a Comment