Sunday, November 11, 2012

Just another Saturday

From 7:15 this morning until I write right now at 9:45 pm I have had 30 minutes to myself and that was while I showered. After bathing and dressing the kids and helping with breakfast I immediately got started on cleaning the compound. I swept the entire main house and guest house (where the missionaries stay), mopped the verandah and the guest house, cleaned the mop ( atowel that smells disgusting) and some bath mats, wiped down the tables and benches, and cleaned the baseboards in half the house. I was a sweaty mess at noon when I finished. We were expecting guests today and needed the compound to look its best.

Unfortunately, looking so well didn't last because, as is typical in the rainy season, it rained and poured; about 20 minutes after I got out of the shower it started and it didn't let up in intensity for several hours. I made tomato sauce and jell-o (weird combo) during nap time and just when I thought I was going to sit down and rest for a few minutes, the kids got up to work on an activity. No rest for me; this is not complaining, I'm just sharing with you my busy day and all that it entails! I could be less busy, enjoy more solitude and relaxation, but if you know me, that isn't very me. To have down time, not necessarily rest time, from 1:30-4 several days a week is more than enough for me.

After directing the kids with the activity and giving them snack I began dinner preparations. I made spaghetti, sauce, and meat for supper; every day's meal is the same, week in, week out, so its spaghetti every Saturday night. Of course all our company shows up at 6 when it's bathing time and we're trying to put finishing touches on supper. They didn't seem to mind the chaos, it was a bunch of college students more interested in taking photos of the kids than what the house looked like. The only concern was that the influx of 7 college students was a bit of excitement for the kids. They made it through supper, but afterwards was awkward. Typically the kids go for devotions on the mat, but instead there were 7 college kids sitting around drinking African tea and eatting samosas on their mat area. I improvised and played a game around the table until it was time for the college kids to go and time for us to get through devotions as usual. The kids were wound up, but they were exhausted by the time their heads were hitting the pillow. 11.10.12

Not a photo from today, but me cleaning regardless.


No comments:

Post a Comment