Thursday, November 15, 2012

On the Mount

I woke up this morning, got the kids ready for school, readied myself and did several loads of laundry, but when I realized I washed my own clothes without soap, I thought, maybe I'm a bit distracted this morning. One might say I woke up on the wrong side of the bed; I didn't respond to anyone with unkindness, but on the inside I wasn't feeling very kind.

Even though yesterday was my day off (and I enjoyed my leisurely day with a run, grocery shopping, lunch at the cafe and working on a project for the kids and concluded with a lengthy, fully encompassing deep discussion with Auntie Jo), I still felt like I wasn't emotionally or spiritually capable of serving today at Mengo Youth Development. So I opted to stay behind, finish doing laundry, make Carol and Don's beds, and spend the bulk of my day in the Word, praying and listening to my favorite Hillsong United songs.

I opted for the Sermon on the Mount as my starting point. It was fulfilling to read, and as my Bible is of the study variety, there was a great discussion on the sermon being about making our inner appearances match our outter appearance, and maybe that's how I was feeling, mismatched from inner to outer. Yes, I woke up, put on a cute skirt and some jewelry, but I wasn't really ready for my day on the inside, and I didn't want to short change the kids in my serving, they deserved the best of me and I just couldn't do it today. I suppose I don't acknowledge this enough in my "normal" life, maybe if I did every day I would be kind and loving even of my enemies, never judging, never worrying, always full of salt and light, and always seeking Him. Probably not, but acknowledging this need to slow down and serve myself even after a day of rest is a good lesson to learn. 11.15.12

 

No comments:

Post a Comment