Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving in Uganda was a complete success!! Despite having to use a tiny propane gas oven and the outdoor charcoal stove we did quite well, I think I've become quite resourceful! Everybody was full, satisfied and happy. The two other missionaries served as my sous chefs, prepping, chopping, etc and we had fun listening to Christmas music and stuffing the bird. I even made place cards for everyone, the nerd that I am!

Maybe its just because we've been craving American food, but Auntie Jo said this was the best Thanksgiving meal she's ever had. And then after supper when we had the kids run around to burn off some of the food (luckily only one kid puked from being too full!), Joel ran up to me and said, "Today was a good day Auntie Laura", it was a good day all around; just what I needed!!

I did try to get a turkey, I randomly see them walking around so I know they have them. But when the market boy took me to the area where turkeys were I was not prepared to walk into the middle of cages of hens, turkeys and other fowl clucking, gobbling and flapping their wings. The man grabbed a turkey out of the cage for me and when I asked about the weight he tried to pass the bird over...no thanks, I have no desire to hold a gobbling, struggling turkey by its wings. He said it would cost me the equivalent of about $60 for the turkey and he would include killing it and plucking it in the price, but that was a bit steep for my price range. In the end we settled on two larger chickens (about 5 lbs each...be grateful for your 17 lb turkey!). Our meal included chicken, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn, dinner rolls and stuffing! With Fanta for a beverage and an apple crumb pie for dessert, not bad eh? Seriously the chicken was so moist, it literally fell right off the bone! Awesome! And to American standards I used just the iright amount of salt, I don't think my Ugandan friends found it salty enough, but that's what salt shakers are for, right?!

So thankful for the support and love and prayers of my family and friends, for being able to eat a hot meal that fills my belly, for a roof over my head, for a bed to sleep in and for my health. Happy Thanksgiving! 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment