Monday, November 26, 2012

Teary-eyed

Oh man, it's really starting to feel like I'm coming to the end of my trip. Leaving America wasn't this hard and I think it was because I knew I'd be back in 3 months. If you recall before I left it didn't even hit me that I was leaving until a few days before I left, and now here I am having known it for a while and with a few days left I'm really feeling it, cherising the moments.

Today was our last day of serving at A Perfect Injustice, the street ministry. After all our lessons, activities and devotions were over, just before blessing their meal we told the boys it was our last week. I spoke on behalf of the three of us girls saying that serving there was our favorite ministry opportunity and it's because we love the boys so much (needless to say they were excited to hear that). They had a boy serve as their spokesman thanking us for everything and then one boy prayed for our journey; it was really sweet and touching, and made me aware that when I say/said good-bye it might be forever. Many of the boys hugged us good-bye, and I considered that a really big step for them; we had always been warned that many of them don't touch because of fear or things from their past, so this was especially heart-warming. I got teary-eyed saying good-bye.


The other night Don got me teary-eyed too. Since I had the kids make a picture for Auntie Jo and Auntie Cassady to make a book, and they did something similar for me, the kids know we are leaving soon. So the other night when I asked the boys for prayer requests Don asked to pray for the three of us, and coming from a 4 year old that has the attention span of a fly I was amazed that it even registered to him.

We had a camp-out last night (aka we built a fire and did devotions outside while eating their version of s'mores: butter cookies, chocolate syrup and a marshmallow) and that is another sign of someone's visit coming to an end. I'm doing everything I can to hold on to the precious moments, like holding each child individually and praying with them, doing their first puzzle with them, learning new games, and going for walks.


I know that I have impacted their lives and I'm so thankful for being able to know it. Not only have I changed them through potty-training and learning how to tell time, or identify letters and numbers, but through all my activities, games, play-time opportunities, the love I have given them, and the Bible stories and verses I have taught them. I am so grateful to have a servant's heart, for having heeded the call and travelled here, for loving on my abaana's and having felt their love in return. 11.26.12


No comments:

Post a Comment