Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Teaching and Learning

This morning the girls were slow and hesitant in getting ready for school because of a cockroach, although they told me it was dead (several hours later when I remembered it was there and to take care of it, I found out it wasn't really dead, just in severe pain, I ended the pain). Then Oscar started screaming and crying during nap time, and I rushed in to see a lizard on the ceiling, the little guy was less than two inches long and this 4' kid was freaking out. Seriously, most of the time we are outside one of them picks up a bug and brings it to me to see, and here they are bugging out, is it because it is inside their home? They are so funny! (By the way, haven't seen the mouse recently, maybe he found another home!)

Today I really enjoyed my afternoon with the kids, we saw these beautiful multi-colored birds fly into the tree just outside our compound, and they were so enamored by it. They sat with me watching the birds and talking about it for quite some time; at one point I couldn't see the last one in the tree, but they all could, I can't remember which kid it was but one of them said, "Auntie, you take your goggles (sunglasses) off, then you will see." It is funny how they process things sometimes. I'd like to think its my enthusiasm at things like birds, etc. that get them excited, but then I realize that they run to tell me about the tiniest bug or random thing they see, so it is just how they are! (Ohmygoodness I sound like my mother!!)

After our bird watching I wanted to work with Fauziya on letters and phonics, but the other kids wanted to participate too, so we had an impromtu lesson at the picnic table this afternoon, me donning lowercase letters with a picture on the back. I had the youngest kids tell me the letters, and the older kids share the sound it makes, then we all guessed what picture was on the back. I couldn't believe how attentive they were! I told Joshua he could read me a book after school every day this week and he's holding me to it, except today he read it to whomever was interested, and that means most of the kids. They really do love learning and helping whenever possible!

Uncle Joseph (the director) left for America today to join his wife and daughter and spend the holidays in the states while fundraising and attending speaking engagements. I was a bit teary-eyed watching the kids say good-bye to him, knowing my turn is coming and I am going to miss them terribly. Before I came to Uganda I really struggled with the thought of being another person that enters their lives and leaves them, much like their parents, grandparents, etc. Someone tried to encourage me that I am giving them what they need while I am here, and that is what my purpose is and I have to own only that level of responsibility, love them as much as I can, teach them, and help them grow in godliness, wisdom and knowledge. I'm struggling with this concept again, but the inevitable will happen, I will leave; we all have seasons and relationships that come and go. 11.13.12


No comments:

Post a Comment