Monday, November 12, 2012

The best view

I was walking to buy eggs the other morning, we buy 30 eggs for 8500 UGX (about $3) once or twice a week. Instead of recycled cardboard egg cartons they have plastic ones you take with you, so I have three of them in my hand and I only have to walk pretty much the distance of taking the kids to school, maybe a little over a 1/4 mile. As I round this one turn, it is my favorite view of Kampala, usually I am walking there around 7:30 or 8, the sun hasn't been up long and there are just these two beautiful hills looking back at you in all their glory. I get to this same point and I thank God for the beauty of His creation. But I also notice all the sounds I hear on my walk, a cow mooing, a chicken clucking, a rooster crowing, some unidentified bird singing, a goat bleating, a dog barking, children playing, water running. It's really spectacular! And I remark about this view to my Ugandan friends, but they don't notice it; and I am reminded of that great verse, I think maybe its in one of the gospels, that a prophet is without honor in his own country. How often we miss the beauty of things right before our very eyes.
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura,

    Sorry I missed talking to you on Sunday. I hear
    that Skype was not up to par. Whereas Aaron and I played golf and made a 77--best ball! We parred the last two holes, as well as many others.

    Your blog is so informative and gratitude inducing. You are such a good woman, to be doing what you are doing. Can't wait to see you. Enjoy every minute there amidst the precious kids.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete